Monday, January 30, 2012

Nepal

Day 2 and a half in Nepal. Arrived late the night of the 28th, checked in at the Kathmandu Guest house and went searching for food. We found a cute place, the Organic Cafe, and ordered a nice Nepali meal. Our server was so helpful, and as we were speaking we thought to ask him to be our guide the next day. He agreed, we got his number, and went back for some well deserved sleep! 
We are staying in the Thamel district of Kathmandu. It was an area made famous in the 60's and 70's as hippies flocked here. You can see the influence. There are posters of Bob Marley, Rock and Roll music, references to pop icons everywhere.
The next morning, we met up with Sirjay, and found a cab. Our cab driver, Givanda was very knowledgeable. We started at the largest Buddhist temple, also known as the monkey temple. It is called Swayambunath. Unfortunately, it is also very commercialized. Where you can see Buddha, the cemetary, prayer rolls, and a gorgeous stupa, there is also a shop for everything. And, although some prove to be quite knowledgeable, when you start listening to a "guide" he will expect to be paid for his time. One started with me, I knew from past experience where this was leading, and went willingly. He was so inviting, and so amusing and the only thing I did not do was take a photo.  
Next stop was Sirjay's room. He wanted us to see where he and his brother lived. We went, knowing that this was a great honor to him. (to him? How many tourists to Kathmandu are invited into a young students home, simply to see it!) We met his brother, and their cousin (?) stayed for a few minutes and went on to our next stop, the Hindu temple, Pashupatinath. This was an amazing stop for me.
One year ago, on the date we were visiting this temple, my father died. When we arrived at the temple grounds, (we could not go in, only Hindis are allowed on the grounds) we walked to the surrounding area, on a bridge over a river. Along side the river were 3 cremations, all in various stages. I was in awe of the blessing I was given to watch this ritual. It is so private, yet so public. I stopped, took some pictures, said a prayer for the living, and we went on. What a blessing that was for me.
After that, we fought traffic for an hour, ( we did not know there were demonstrations going on about the rising price of fuel). Traffic here makes Bangkok look like Washington Mo.
It was a very emotional day for me. 
I miss my dad. I haven't really missed him much this past year. I have been very busy. But now that it has been a year, I can feel the loss. I am feeling very alone right now. I really miss my kids. I miss Jay. I miss my dad. Perhaps finally having some time alone, some time not on the move, I am able to grieve. I need this, as painful as it is.
Tonight, is our last night in Kathmandu. We are being treated to a true Nepali meal by the trekking company I am using for Bhutan. Always an adventure.






No comments:

Post a Comment