Saturday, January 21, 2012

Friday 20 January 2012

I may actually be able to catch up to myself in a day or two! 
There is so much to see, and so much to do. And it is Chinese New Year, so even more to do. And really, I am so damn beat that it is all I can do to just check mail and go to sleep.
So, here, although it says January 21, I am blogging about the 20th. Hey, wait a minute, it IS the 20th somewhere.....
So in the morning, we were met my Mieu and a driver. She was a gift to us from the Lapidary. No, we did not spend anyone's inheritance. They really just truly liked us. That happens to us a lot!
We started at the Grand Palace and Temple. Very crowded, and full of children on field trips. Everywhere we turned, there was something amazing and beautiful to look at. Mieu's English was not so good, so we could not really understand much, or as much, but we were able to see everything. Spectacular. Really, very amazing. The Palace is not currently inhabited, the King is actually in a hospital, and still working. He is 84 years old, and not in good health. He is truly loved by his people.
Then to the temple of Dawn. It is quite amazing. We climbed the steps to the top. Really really steep steps. I couldn't not do it, even if in my older age, I have become like my mother and heights make me weak in the knees....The tile work, the ceramic work, the amazing attention to detail. And then factor in the age. It is amazing.
Then we went to the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. It was amazing. A 46 meter Buddha. 151 feet long. Really amazing. I will post photos. Words cannot do this justice, and the pictures do not either.
A quick bite to eat, and then back to the hotel. A few hours nap and out we ventured again, taking our chances, walking to find some street food or an interesting looking restaurant. We found a Chinese Restaurant. It was quite fancy, and I believe were a little disappointed that we did not order the feast for 10 people. We did have some awesome rice noodles with vegetables and chicken, and walked back, seeing some awesome street food. Chinese New year will start tomorrow, so maybe a few more days before we indulge.
Looking like I am rambling. I am overwhelmed by the sights and sounds. I am overwhelmed by how blessed I am to be on this journey.
Namaste.





No comments:

Post a Comment