Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

For the last 2 days, it has been about Chinese New year. Looks like it will be about the new year for the next 15 days as well! Apparently, the Lunar celebration really started today at sundown, and will continue for 2 weeks.
Last night, after a really really long day at the old City and the weekend market. (30 acres of shopping madness.....)we ventured to Chinatown. Our tuk tuk driver just stopped and told us we were there. We saw the lanterns across the streets so we knew we were in the right place, just not so sure what to do! We wandered around a bit, and finally sat down to order some food. Street food in Thailand is a culture all to itself. 
The food is cooked on or in or next to a cart. If you are at all squeemish about sanitation, you will not like this. Obviously, we paid attention to where we were going to sit, and made a decision to "get what they are having". We ordered, and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited and finally paid for our waters and started walking. And walking. And walking. We found a tuk tuk driver, told him we wanted to eat, somewhere local, and left on another ride through the streets of Bangkok.
Let me stop a minute to write about Tuk Tuk's. They are part golf cart, part dirt bike, part funny car, part gator, and they run on propane. My first thought each and every time I get in one is that this should be a video game. The farther you go in the game, the more motorcycles and pedestrians come out of no where and your job is to not teeple over or kill anyone. And did I mention, these things go fast!!!!
So, we got in a tuk tuk, and went. After what seemed a little too long a ride, I jokingly said that he must be taking us to his uncle's restaurant. About 30 second's later, we stop and the maitre d, greets us with menu's and an order pad. No kidding. It was a seafood restaurant, where you chose your seafood, either while it is still swimming, or on ice, and they cook it. Price is by weight. We had snapper, prawns and rice. It was so good! Amazing. It was possibly the priciest meal we have had, and so well worth it. 
When we left, we made the mistake of thinking we could walk back. Nope. Not so much. Half way there we got a cab. We were pretty close. I was not a happy camper at all. Tired, feet hurting, and so happy to get into bed!
I went back to Chinatown today, alone, and took photos. I went into a Gold store to look at Baht Chains. Just looked. Didn't even touch. Baht chains in 1987 and now are about the difference of a year of college. Gold was $37 oz. Now it is $1600 oz. I bought 2 back then for about $250. I don't think I could have bought one small earring for that price.
Tonight we went to the night market. Finally saw the Dragon dance. About 6 of them. In and out of stores and restaurants. Loud, colorful, awesome. And tonight, I did not have my camera. Sorry......I could get a photo from Google, and then, so can you. So I will post some others.
I am caught up now. Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment