Monday, January 2, 2012

2012....the journey continues

January 1, 2012. For many people, this is a day of new beginnings. If you are like me, we know that a new beginning can be now.     or now.     or now.  You get the idea. In other words, why should the first day of a new calendar be any different than any other day of any other week of any other month. I digress..
I woke up this morning, finally feeling better...the antibiotics are working. I had a nasty thing. Never really tested for strep, the doc just assumed I had what the other 15 off islanders had. And as far as I can tell, she was right. I feel a lot better. Soaking on the beach in the sun was a good idea too.
So off I went on a 2 mile walk down the beach. It was good to me today. I found some great shells, good glass...I will have quite the collection. I wonder what the beaches in Thailand will bring?
But really, what I want to blog today is how I am feeling as a new year begins. My wish for this year  is that no one close to me dies. I know this is a big wish. And I know that no one "dies at me". A year free of fatal illness and death would be a nice break. I say that all I have left is my kids, not true. I have many friends who live with chronic illness. As I cannot make sure that no one I love leaves, I commit to enjoying every minute I have with those I love.
What am I going to do with my life? About 18 months ago, I was asked by a dear friend..."What are you going to do with your life?". That question has swirled in my head ever since. What am I going to do? What I would like to do is help other people, like me, navigate grief.  On my trip, I hope to learn about other cultures' view of grief. How do they treat their elders? Somehow, my college studies (I have a BA in Cultural Anthropology) and my life experience have brought me to a place where I can do my own "field studies". I would like to "practice" here on Maui, however, So Cal has one of the best grief support centers in the US. So, if I have to stay there a while to sell a house, I will have a purpose. A place to go , to heal, to learn, to share.
Not really a lot of complete sentences today. I just knew I needed to blog.
Hauoli Makahiki Hou!


No comments:

Post a Comment