Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Been a while.....

It's been a while. I am staying in a place in Maui Meadows. No internet, just incredible views of both the ocean and Haleakala. I can do without internet. So I am in Paia, at a great place called the Paia Cafe, excellent organic salads, tasty coffee, superb people watching and, you guessed it, free wifi.
The kids left on Saturday. Quite bittersweet. I miss them. I also miss Jay and my dad. And, surprisingly for a cat person like me, my dogs. I have had a few rough patches of loneliness and the overwhelming "what the f*ck was I thinking", they pass, and my day goes on to be spectacular. Yesterday was all about humpbacks. William's birthday is Friday, so instead of dinner at Mama's we went out on Hawaiian Ocean Rafting. 
***Just a funny aside. I remember the name of the outfit because when we first went out with them, they give "boarding passes". Mine was the number 1 on one side and HOR on the other. Whore, I thought? How rude! Jacob and Len pointed out that it was Hawaiian Ocean rafting. *******
We went on the morning snorkel, and almost immediately saw whales breaching. Amazing. Then, off to the first snorkel spot. It was off Lanai in an area that is no longer used for tourists, but in 1986 when I was here with David, this is where we came. we snorkeled off shore, but I knew as they were telling us about the location that I had been here before. The snorkeling was amazing. All I could think was that I was so incredibly grateful for the ability to see. How many of us take sight for granted? The ability not only to see the coral and the fish and the rays of light coming from the sun into the water. And the whales! To see those stupendous creatures!!! Words just fall short. We also saw a Hawaiian Monk Sea Turtles, Spinner Dolphins and lots and lots of whales! Exhausted does not even come close.
No pictures, I was too busy looking to shoot pictures.
So the countdown has started. 3 1/2 days til the day we leave. What will I do with this fabulous life!

No comments:

Post a Comment