Friday, February 24, 2012

Hua Hin...Tigers and Elephants...

What an amazing 2 days I have had. 
Yesterday, I took a 6 hour round trip to the Tiger Temple. My driver, Jack (!), also thought it a good idea to see the National Cemetery where the soldiers and airmen from countries other than Thailand were laid to rest following their imprisonment and servitude building the railroad from Thailand to Burma, and the Bridge on the Kwai River. Then, we went to see the Bridge. I could not help by smile as I heard my dad hum/singing the theme to the movie. He so loved that music!
Then it was off to the Tiger temple. This place was originally a temple where the monks who lived here took in orphaned tigers who's parents were killed by poachers for their fur. Tigers are raised here now. It is unknown for certain if they are drugged, certainly, from what I saw and did, they are not mistreated! I played with the babies, 6 weeks to 12 weeks, and bathed, fed and exercised the older ones, 1-2 years. It was amazing. I will not forget that experience...ever.....
Today I went to the Hutsadin Elephant Sanctuary. There are 6 elephants that live here, ranging in age from 3 1/2 years to 86 years. The oldest was most likely used in building the Death Railway. These amazing creatures are rescued. Some are abandoned here, some brought by owners who can no longer care for them, and for 2 the money was raised to buy them from places they were being mistreated. Yes, you can ride them to see the property. Yes, there is a "baby elephant show". And then there are the animals themselves and the volunteers who love them. 
There are only 6. It is very expensive. They are so well cared for, and nursed back to health. Amazing.
I am here one more full day. My head is already spinning about going home. I struggle to just be here, in the moment. For the most part, I am successful. 
I have learned much about relationships. My relationships and how I view them. Some, are completely unconditional. Those I know are reciprocal, and loving. Some, not so much. All of this has to do with how I feel about the person, not blaming them for communication or lack thereof....It is all an adventure. I have been a loner most of my life, sitting back and watching. As a wise woman once taught me, I do not have to fight every battle, pick one that I can devote myself to and learn from it. I do not have to have every relationship. I will pick those that nurture me, and then in turn, nurture them.
Gonna try for a photo upload or two....






No comments:

Post a Comment