Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bangladesh

Welcome to Bangladesh! I have been here 3 days. The first day was a bit rough- Dhaka is a city of over 20 million. (yes, Million) people. Thank you William for paying the guy to get us through customs. We got through so fast, we beat our luggage! Then, my ATM card would not work. Tried a few times, (why I thought trying over and over would work...hmmm). Later that night I heard a story of how a friends card was eaten by the ATM. He spent several hours at the bank, and actually got his card back. I doubt that would happen twice!!!!
Anyway, we were picked up at the airport with a huge smile and a van. The host committee at the APF is super efficient. We got to the hotel, checked in, and I took a flying fall across the lobby. Missed a step. I was so tired, so done with crowds and dirt and honking horns....my ego and my knee were bruised, and I really thought I had broken my toe. (It is better today, almost pain free.)
The Asian Pacific Forum is wonderful. Twenty countries, and (yay for me) Bhutan is here for the first time. So I have been able to talk to them and make, or attempt to make, a plan for the last destination. 
To be in a room with members from Bangladesh, Bahrain, Iran, Kuwait, India, Maldives, Philippines, Pakistan, Japan, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Hawaii, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Singapore,  Nepal, Bhutan, Cambodia, and I am sure I have left a few out! All discussing how to best carry the message, and help NA grow in all countries. It is so refreshing to hear people discuss how to reach suffering addict instead of hours of policy changes and what "they" did and what "we" didn't get. Right now we are hearing about how the emerging NA communities started and are continuing to grow. 
Last night we went to a meeting of the local fellowship. Held in a school, maybe middle school, with very small desks. We are not all very small people. The universal laughter was contagious. We were not laughing at some one, we were laughing at ourselves, with each other. And there we were. Many different languages. All wanting the best for each other. One thing. That we could learn a new way of life.
Beautiful.
Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment