Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bhutan, one more day....

I can't believe I have been here almost a week. What an amazing country. I cannot yet post photos, the signal is not strong enough. I have spent a few days in Thimpu, and a few in Panakha. Thimpu was mostly sightseeing, it is a big city by Bhutanese standards. One good hike, but mostly just walking. Not good if I am going to do this climb on Monday! Personally, I think my shoes are too tight, and if I had been smart I would have bought new ones in Thimpu. Now it is the night before the hike and I am flipping out thinking about the 600 steps that come AFTER the main climb!In both directions! My knees hurt just thinking about it. I will do this. If I was willing to climb the Batu steps in Malaysia, this is 200 more!
Enough of the fear talking...In Panakha we attended a festival. Beautiful colors and dancers. I was more taken with the people attending the festival. We had a picnic the second day, as did many other festival goers...I got some really good photos!
We also went to the shopping area. Mostly things for Bhutanese, a few other items, I made a purchase or two. Sherab is happy with me because I have helped the economy here.
One night, I went to a meeting. Jay would have loved it. In a little room off to the back of the rehab drop in center. IP's on the floor, copies of the draft of Living Clean, sweet (hot) coffee and they were passing around cigarettes like, well, like cigarettes! (Cigarettes are illegal here). They asked me to share, so I did. I was so damn happy just to be in a meeting!!! This is the core homegroup in Bhutan. The first group. They meet a few nights a week. The meeting was awesome. The lone woman there asked if I could come visit the rehab.
So of course I was going to do that. Now came the part of explaining to Sherab and Natin about the meeting, the rehab, me, recovery....it was relatively easy, I thought. Until the next day when the questions started. Really, it was awesome. I mean, these guys might never had heard of NA or 12 steps. And when I did go visit the rehab, Teshering (the woman I met) insisted they come in for a tea. Then the Q&A started and it was awesome. More questions on the way to Paro. and i KNOW i am the only client they have ever taken to rehab.....
What an amazing journey. The biggest part of this adventure has been the spiritual aspect. Plus, I am reading the Tibetan book of Living and Dying. I came seeking. I have found....not sure what, more is being revealed daily.
When I find the words, I will blog about this part of my journey. Not just here in Bhutan, the whole thing, starting in Maui.
Gotta sleep....big climb tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like Bhutan has got to you like it did us. Enjoy Tigers nest and the hike is not so bad it is hard to even think about it with the views you will be seeing.

    ReplyDelete